5/31/11

Do you sound racist?



I had one of those "hypersensitive" days, when I have to question, "was that racism" or am I reading into things.  Normally, my answer to people questioning that they heard my little town was slightly racist I say "I wouldn't know, I don't give people the time long enough to be racist to me". That being said, it's simply not true and sometimes you have to entertain conversations. Like today:

"Wow, great shoulders, do you work out?"
"Nope, never been to a gym in my life" (as I stand there in underarmour leggings and a tank top that says 'Fit Factory' across my chest)
"There aren't any black women in my gym it's not often you see that"
I stared, smirked and walked away with one eyebrown cocked
Sat down in my car and shook my head.

There’s more to acting racist than just calling people nigger. it’s usually that little thing called dismissing the feelings and input of a specific group or people. or better yet, not seeing an individual but seeing a [insert race] person. (fine example: laura ingraham’s simple ass writing in her trash book “the obama diaries” that michelle obama would eat ribs all day. the same michelle obama who makes a point to work out on a regular basis and sponsors a healthy eating initiative. she didn’t see michelle obama. she saw a black person. and you know how those negros love their pork!) and while you may not BE a racist (at least in your own eyes)…some of ya’ll do and say some racist mess. and after a while the little slights start to add up. so excuse the hell out of some of us for being “hypersensitive”


Sometimes it's actually kind of comical. Today, I"m a little bitter. I'll be fine tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment